AIRLINES, TRAVEL AGENTS AND CAR HIRE
Rua Fernão Melo Castro, 291
Tel: +258 21 495482/3
Fax: +258 21 499534
Air Mauritius and SAA are in the same
Office, run by the dynamic team Mr & Mrs Peroo
Tel: + 258 21 465487
Fax: + 258 21 465487
STA – Sociedade de Transportes Aéreos
Rua Tchamba 405
Tel: +258 21 491765 / 492022
Fax: + 258 21 491763
Maputo International Airport
Fax; + 258 21 465888
Cel: + 258 84 2970700
ALL WORLD TRAVEL, Lda.
Av. Julius Nyerere, 956
Tel: + 258 21 486380 / 1
Fax: +258 21 486379
Av. 24 de Julho 891 R/C
Tel: +258 21 304600/82 310336
Av. Armando Tivane, 877
Tel: +258 21 486689 /32
Fax: + 258 21 495055
Cel: +258 82 3089650
LUSOGLOBO MOZAMBIQUE, LDA.
Av. 25 de Setembro, 1211
Tel: + 258 21 308067/8/9
Fax: + 258 21 303596
Travel agent, tour operator (IATA)
Owned by Mr. Leck who is always helpful.
L. A. M. – Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique
Mão Tse Tung & Esq. Julius Nyerere
Tel: +258 21 490590
Fax: + 258 21 496105
Linha do Cliente 82147 ou www.lam.co.za
Flight: + 258 21 465148/465168
Rua Fernão Melo Castro, 287
Tel: + 258 21 495483/4
Fax: + 258 21 465487
T.A.P. – Air Portugal
Rovuma Hotel, Shop 28
Tel: +258 21 303927/8
Fax: +258 21 303947
Av. Mao Tse Tung, 729
Tel: + 258 21 484300
Fax: +258 21 494042/29
COTUR TRAVEL & TOURS
Av. Karl Marx, 1179 R/C
Tel: + 258 21 327333/4/5
Fax: + 258 21 327336
Cel: 258 82 3008950
Av. 25 de Setembro, 1226 Prédio JAT 491
Tel: + 258 21 428427/9
Fax: + 258 21 428430
MOZAMBIQUE ADVISER LDA
Av. Ahmed S.Toure, 1034
Tel: + 258 21 309477
Fax: + 258 21 30205
Tickets, tours and seminars
Av. Armando Tivane 1438
Tel: + 258 21 486461/827859560
Fax: + 258 21 302054
Av. Patrice Lumumba, 204
Tel: + 258 21 315130/1/2/34
Fax: + 258 21 315135 – Cell: 258 823069730
Av.de Angola, 2211r/c
Tel:+ 258 21 467007/8/9
Fax: + 258 21 466522
Tel: 258 21 465497/8
Fax: 258 21 465493
Tel: + 258 21 466172
Fax: + 258 21 466163
Or Hotel Polana
Tel: + 258 21 497338/9
Fax: + 258 21 495634
Av. Julius Nyerere, 1220
Telefax: + 258 21 492775
Av. Mão Tse Tung, 1516
Tel: 258 21 418878
Fax: 258 21 418873
Rua da Sé (Hotel Rovuma)
Tel: 258 21 493619
Fax: 258 21 306206
Av. Mártires de Moeda, 907 (Hotel Cardoso)
Tel: 258 21 493619
Fax: 258 21 49362
Cell: + 258 82 3005180
TRI-STAR CAR RENTAL, LDA.
Rua Joaquim Lapa, 95 R/C
Tel: + 258 21 324271
Fax: + 258 21 324276
IMPERIAL CAR RENTAL
Av. Mão Tse Tung, 1591
Tel: + 258 21 418878
Fax: +258 21 493543
Tel: + 258 21 465250
HERTZ RENTAL CAR
Hotel Polana – Tel: + 258 21 494982
Tel: + 21 465 534
Reservation – Cel: + 258 82 3276220
BANKS AND FOREING EXCHANGES OFFICES
CASH AND OTHER PAYMENT FACILITIES
Visitors to Mozambique should be aware that it is difficult to obtain cash in Maputo with a credit, debit or cash card. Cashing a traveller’s cheque is expensive and facilities are not available everywhere. It is not possible to obtain fuel from filling stations with any card at all. It should also be noted that foreing currency is not freely available as it is imported as required. Most Hotels and restaurants will accept credit card for payment and USDollars/Rand notes are accepted for payment at filling stations, street vendors and other establishments. Except to have the exchange rate determined by the supplier or vendor!
There are a number of commercial banks in Mozambique, with their head officies in Maputo, which provide bank account service to individuals and companies. The opening and maintaining of accounts by residents are subject to Mozambique Exchange Control Regulations – requirements and restrictions are applicable – Which should be discussed with the bank before the opening of a bank account.
Several Exchange Control Regulations apply to residents, non – residents and companies in Mozambique.
A resident individual is defined as any persosn with Mozambican Identity Papers or any person with a foreing passport that has been issued “resident” status by the Mozambique authorities (DIRE).
Residents can open and maintain bank accounts in Meticais, US Dollar and Rand. The buying of foreing currency and cross-border transfers are subject to Exchange Control and restricted to specific categories of transaction within certain limits, whilst prior approval from the Exchange Control authorities is required for other types of transactions.
Residents individuals can buy up to 5000USD (or the equivalent in Rand or other Foreing Currency, if available) with Meticais for a travel allowance and certain other categories of transactions.
This facility is subject to proof of residence, indentity and the availability of foreing currency notes.
Non – Residents
A non-residents is a persosn with a foreing passaport who is in Mozambique on a visa, issued to that person by the Mozambican authorities, valid for a specific period.
Non residents are allowed to open and maintain a bank account in Mozambique. Any funds credited to accounts, designated as a non-resident account, have to originate in foreing currency from a source that is cross-border and not from a local resident source. Cash credited to such an account can be freely converted to Meticais, spent locally and remaining balance in foreing currency can be freely trnasfered back to the source.
A resident company is a company or entity registered in Mozambique. Resident companies can obtain foreing currency transfers from authorized banks, for payment of the importation of goods, subject to the presentation of all relevant import permits, commercial invoices and customs clearance documentation (Document Unique). Payment for other transactions such as services or inter-company loans, are subject to certain limits or prior approval from the Exchange Control authorities.
We have listed a few of the main banks present in Maputo and some of their outlets that are probably more convenient for ex-pats to visit.
AFRICAN BANKING CORPORATION
New Head Office
Av. Julius Nyerere, 999
Tel: + 258 21 482100
Fax: + 258 21 487474
This bank is wonderful. We have found the service to be fast and efficient. They have relocated there offices to this wonderful house which is a landmark. Ample secure parking!
BANCO COMERCIAL DE INVESTIMENTO
Av. 25 de Setembro, 1465
Tel: + 258 21 307148
Fax: + 258 21 307152
Av. 25 de Setembro, 1184
Tel: + 258 213517700/21 313453
Fax: + 258 21 323470
Av. Julius Nyerere
This Bank is owned by ABSA Bank and hás a new dynamic teamwith good service.
BIM – BANCO INTERNACIONAL DE MOÇAMBIQUE
Av. 25 de Setembro, 1800
Tel: +258 21 312516/7
Fax: + 258 21 354403/4
Julius Nyerere & Polana Shopping Center
STANDARD BANK MOÇAMBIQUE
Praça 25 de Junho, N° 1
Tel: + 258 21 352500/9
Fax: + 258 21 309323
Av. Julius Nherere in front of Mundos
Restaurante and JAT building 25 de Setembro
BMI – BANCO MERCANTIL DE INVESTIMENTOS
Av. 24 de Julho, 3549
Tel: + 258 21 407979/80
Fax: + 258 21 407900
Av. Julius Nherere, 1016
Tel: + 258 21 494010/1
Fax: + 258 21 498675
Av.25 de Setembro
Tel: + 258 21 353700
Fax: + 258 21 307152
Rua Francisco Barreto, Sommerchild
UNIÃO GERAL DE BANCOS
Av. Fredric Engles, 400
Tel: + 258 21 499900/495221/5
Fax: + 258 21 494401
FOREIGN EXCHANGE HOUSESECONDARY MARKET
There are many in Maputo but we suggest you use the ones in areas such as:
Av. Ho Chi Min, 773
Tel: + 258 21 300965/7
Fax: + 258 21 300990
Av. Julius Nherere, 624
Tel: + 258 21 485770
Fax: + 258 21 485731
MOÇAMBIQUE OVERSEAS CAMBIOS
Av. Julius Nherere, 412
Tel: + 258 21 495145/8
Tel: + 258 21 497092
Fax: + 258 21 497095
Av. 25 de Setembro and
Av. Mao Tse Tung, 589
Av. 24 de Julho, 1830
Tel: + 258 21 310867
MUNDO DE CAMBIOS
Av. Mão Tse Tung, 278
Tel: + 258 21 499995
Av. Julius Nherere, 933
Tel: + 258 21 491424/494426
Fax: + 258 21 494438
Av. Eduardo Mondlane
Tel: +258 21 499995
Av. Mao Tse Tung
Av. Julius Nherere
Tel: + 258 21 495831
TERTIARY MARKET/PARALLEL MARKET
The unofficial outles such as tobacconists and bottle stores are illegal and nto issue a recipt even though, you might get a marginally better exchange rate.
At the gate a customs agent may stop you and ask to check your passport. Make sure you stop to collect a gate pass. The gate pass indicates your registration number and how many people are in the car. In the event it is not filled in by the customs officer, you can fill it in inside when filling in car papers.
· Drive up to the first building, park on the left side and go inside the building – all the persons in the car. This is important on the South African side.
· If you have anything to declare for a tax refund – see below on when and how to declare goods.
· If your car is a S.A registered vehicle, fill in the form at the desk (see attached). The customs agent will stamp it and give you back a copy as well as a gate pass (see attached).
· If your car is registered in Mozambique, just sign the copy of the paper you received at the S.A border when you left and hand it to the agent. He will keep it nad stamp your gate pass.
· Proceed to the passport queue to get your passport and gate pass stamped.
· Go back to your car and drive to the gate. Hand the gate pass to a customs agent.
TAX REFUNDS AT R.S.A BORDER – GOODS
VALUED UNDER R 5.000.00
(Only applicable to non-SA residents)
· After you have parked your car inside the gates, go inside and get receipts stamped at the customs desk. Only receipts that have a tax invoice number will be accepted.
· Go outside and locate a customs agent to inspect the goods, to sing and stamp your form.
· Go inside to the vat refund desk to collect your cheque.
TAX REFUNDS AT R .S.A BORDER – GOODS
VALUED OVER R 5.000.00
(Only applicable to non- SA residents)
· Before going through the gate on the. S.A border, you will see caravans and tables located alongside the road, these are the clearing agents who will fill out a form for you at a cost of about R40.00.
· After you have parked your car inside the gates, go inside and get your forms and recipsts stamped at the customs desk. Only receipts that have a tax invoice number will be accepted.
· Go outside and locate a customs agent to inspect the goods, to sing and stamp your form.
· Go inside to the VAT refund desk to collect your cheque.
MOZAMBIQUE BORDER: YOU ARE NOW DRIVING UP TO THE MOZAMBICAN CHECK POST
Stop at the gate a customs agent will write your registration number, the date and number of people in the car on a gate pass and hand it to you. All foreigners need a valid visa or “Dire” (resident permit).
· If there are a lot of trucks parked on the left, you may pass them – park on the left side of the building and go inside.
· One person can handle the passports and another person the car papers. It is an acceptable procedure to let children and other persons stay in the car.
· Foreigners or Non-Dire holders are required to have an entry visa for Mozambique and pay 28.000Mt/equivalent Rand value per passport. At times it is possible to get an entry visa at the border, but take note that this takes time, and you should try and obtain a visa before arriving.
· If your car is a S.A registered vehicle, you will have to fill out a form (see attached) and pay 25.000Mt/the equivalent Rand value. The agent will give you a copy and stamp your gate pass. It is compulsory for S.A registered vehicles to get Mozambique third party insurance. This can be obtained in the customs hall at one of the two insurance desks – on your left when you enter the hall.
· If your car is a Mozambican registered vehicle, hand the agent the copy of the paper you received when you left Mozambique and the gate pass to stamp. He will keep the copy of the vehicle paper and hand you back the gate pass.
· Go outside to find a customs agent to inspect your vehicle. He will ask you if you have anything to declare (see procedure declaring goods below). He might still want to inspect the content of the vehicle and will the sing the gate pass. Please note the rule of USD 50.00 per month on goods imported per person is still valid. Drive to the gate and hand the gate pass to one of the agents there.
DECLARING GOODS AT THE MOZAMBICAN BORDER
· Consumables up to USD 50 per month – After getting the gate pass stamped at the desk for vehicle papers and completed the handling of the vehicle forms (see above), proceed outside to find a customs inspector to inspect the goods.
· Sing the gate card and declare if you have anything.
– If you have nothing to declare i.e. consumables up to USD (which is allowed once per month), he will inspect the vehicle and sing the gate pass.
– After getting the gate pass stamped at the desk for vehicles and completed the vehicle forms (see above), proceed outside to find a customs inspect the goods – please take note of this persons name and face as he will have to sing your gate pass once the duty has been paid. The inspector will make a notification on the back of the gate pass.
– Go to the outside desk where the duty is assessed and clearance papers are made up.
– Proceed to the inside desk – next to the vehicle paper desk – to pay the duty. The forms will also be stamped.
– Go outside desk where “original customs inspector”,he will sing your gate pass.
– You may now proceed to the exit gate and hand in the gate pass to the inspector at the gate.
Goods to declare, valued over USD 500
– If the value of the gods to declare is higher than USD500, the goods have to go through “Frigo”in Matola.
– You will need to leave the goods at the border and collect it again approximately 2 weeks later in Matola.
– Alternatively you can use an import/export company such as Embassy Export (Te: + 27 137449291 Marius) that will transport the goods, handle the formalities and deliver it to your door.
ARRIVING AT THE BORDER FROM MOZAMBIQUE
· A customs agent may stop to see your passport. Collect the vehicle papers from one of the agents (no gate passed are issued). As from December 2002 no more vehicle are handed at the gate, you now have to enter the main building and purchase the vehicle papers, fill them in and hand them back to the customs officer to stamp – this will cost you 25.000Mt.
· Drive up the first building, park your vehicle on the lest side (or where parking is available) and go inside. It is acceptable for one person present all the passenger’s passports whilst to rest remain with the vehicle. (This is not so on the R.S.A. side).
· If you vehicle is a S.A registered, hand the customs officer tehe copy of paper you received when you left Mozamique. No gate pass is issued.
· If you veicle is Mozambican registered, fill in the form, handit do custms officer and pay 25.000Mt. He will stamp the paper and return the copy to you. No gate pass is issued.
· Drive to the gate – occasionally an immigration officer will ask to see the passports.
YOU ARE NOW DRIVING UP TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN BORDER
·Drive up to the little booth in the right lane – please note that the left lane is for truck only. An agent will fill out a gate pass for you. Park your car and go inside – all persons must be viewed by the passport control.
·Go through passport control and then continue to have your vehicle papers and gate pass stamped.
· Fill in the car papers and declare if you are taking out any computer or equipment.
· If your vehicle is SA registered, give the copy of the form you received when you left SA to the customer officer and get your gate pass stamped.
· If your vehicle is Mozambican registered fill out the form and hand it to the customs officer. He will stamp the gate pass, the form and hand you back a copy.
· Drive up to the gate and hand the gate pass to a customs officer. He may inspect your car.
· As from December 2002, all persosns had to step out of the car and proceed through a plastic container, wich will ensure that the “Foot and Mouth” decease is not passed into South Africa – do not travel with your pets without the correct paper work.
GENERAL VEHICLE INFORMATION
· All vehicles must have the original registration documents.
· All foreing vehicles must have a Mozambican temporary impor permit, this is obtainable at the border – this is also applicable to boats, caravans an trailers.
· All foreing vehicles must have Mozambican 3rd party insurance, this is obtainable at the border.
· All vehicles towing a trailer need to have an emergency red triangle displayed on the front of the vehicle.
· Keep your engine number, chassis number, radio details, value and weight of the vehicle handy – you need these details to fill in the documents at the border.
OBTAINING A VISA AT THE BORDER
· It is possible to obtain a visa at the border when you are entering Mozambique. A fee of USD20 is charged at the airpot office and/or at the Ressano Garcia Border port.
· Should you have prior warning of visitors arriving without a visa, write a letter requesting a visa to immigration at the airport with a copy of the visitor’s passport – the visa will be processed within 10 minutes at the airport.
· The border visa is valid for 1 single entry and 30 days. It may be extended for 60 days.
BORDER POSTS – OPERATING HOURS
· Lebombo / Ressano Garcia – 06:00 – 22:00 During December and January the border is open 24 hours.
· Kosi bay / Ponta do Ouro – 08:00 – 17:00h
· Lomashasha / namaacha – 06:00 – 20:00h
NB: In the event that you need to change your money either entering Mozambique or leaving at the BP garage Centre, next to Wimby on the South African side of the border, go to : FX Africa, Bureau de Change Tel: + 13 793 745 711.
HOTEL AND GUEST HOUSES IN MAPUTO
HOLIDAY INN HOTEL
Av. Marginal, 406 – Tel + 258 21 495050
This hotels is situated on the Marginal, allows guest to walk onto the beach. The food is excellent and the manager Mr. Bruce Champman is available to assist at any time any incredible personality and energy that will keeps you going back. Various shops., Book shop CNA and swimming gear imported from Mauritus.
KAYA KWANGA RESIDECINCIAL
Tel : + 258 21 492806/7
Fax: + 258 21 492215
Situated off marginal this is not only a hotel but also has small bedrooms, 1,2 and 3 bedrooms bungalows that can be rented for monthly periods. It is fully enclosed in a compound and has very relaxed atmosphere.
COSTA DO SOL
Tel: + 258 21 450115/038
Fax: + 258 21 450162
Av. Marginal, 10249
Rooms, bungalows and chalets.
separates the hotel from beach. Good coffee coffee shop and restaurant that is owned by the wonderful Mr Emmanuel Petrakakis.
Tel: + 258 21 49070/491501
Fax: + 258 21 490724
Av. Francisco Orlando Magumbwe, 837
Central location reasonable prices, restaurant and barnicely decorated.
Tel: + 258 21 310600
Fax: + 258 21 323124
Av. Filipe Samuel Magaia, 961
HOTEL MONTE CARLO
Tel: +258 21 304048
Fax: +258 21 308959
Av. Patrice Lumumba, 620
MOZAIKA GUEST HOUSE
Tel: + 258 21 303939/965
Fax: + 258 21 303956
Av. Agostinho Neto, 769
Great decor, Air conditioning, Tv & Internet.
Av. Julius Nherere, 1380
The hotel is managed by Richard Lander, who’s always available to assist. The pool area and restaurant/terrace with a stunning gardens overlooking the bay and is definetly worth a visit. Five star hotel, one of the best in the city.
Tel: + 258 21 491001/7
Fax: + 258 21 497480
Tel: + 258 21 491071/5
Fax: + 258 21 491804
Av. Marteres da Mueda, 707
The hotel overlooks the bay and is the place for sundowners. Mr John Elliot
Who has created a relaxed and popular hotel rubs the hotel. Book shop with variet of Mozambican guides.
Tel: + 258 21 323051/5
Fax: + 258 21 322462
Av. Patrice Lumumba, 508
Av. Fernão Magalhães, 586
Tel: + 258 21 308080
Faz: + 258 21 304640
GIRASSOL BAIHA HOTEL
Tel: + 258 21 360360
Fax: + 258 21 360330
Av. Patrice Lumumba, 737/739
Offers transport from the airport to the Hotel.
HOTEL AFRICA RESIDENCIAL
Av. Paulo. Samuel Kankhomba, 789
Tel: + 258 21 312437/8
Fax: + 258 21 487466
HOTEL AFRICA RESIDENCIAL
Av. Paulo Samuel Kankhomba, 789
Tel: + 258 21 312437/8
Fax: + 258 21 487666
Av. 25 de Setembro, 1743
Tel: + 258 21 352200
Fax: + 258 21 352220
Tel: + 258 21 315076/8
Fax: + 258 21 315079
Av. 24 de Julho, cnr Filipe S. Magaia, 816
Tel: + 258 21 491333
Fax: + 258 21 491284
Av. Francisco Orlando Magumbwe, 587
This Hotel has become very popular and is situated off Av. Eduardo Mondlane
HOTEL VIP MAPUTO
Tel: + 258 21 351000
Fax: + 258 21 351001/6
Av. 25 de Setembro, 692
SUNDOWN GUEST HOUSE
Rua 1301 number 107
Tel: + 258 21 497543
GIRASSOL INDY VILLAGE
Located in Sommerschild, one of the noblest areas of Maputo, Girassol Indy Village is only 6 km away from the Intrnational Airport and very close to the city centre. With full operational facilites available from 2008, it offers the ideal place for sameone who wishes to enjoy a peaceful and safe atmosphere, near the main places of tourist and commercial interest.
All accommodation are equipped whit air conditioning, fully furnished kitchens, safe, clabe TV and decorated with modern design furniture.
Facilities and services
24 hour reception service
Room service and Laundry Service
Free Transferer Airport/Hotel/Airport
· 72 new rooms
· 7 new T3
· 14 new T2
Tel: + 258 21 305000
Fax: + 258 21 305305
Rua de Sé, 114 (near Conselho Municipal)
The businessman’s hotel, which is centrally situated downtown.
HOTEL VILLA DAS MANGAS
Tel: + 258 21 497507
Fax: + 258 21 497870
Av. 24 de Julho, 401
Guesthouse with a great pool área, well located.
Tel: +258 21 497298
Fax: + 258 21 491968
Av. Fredrich Engles, 635
RANI RESORTS INTERNATIONALS
Jat building, 25 de Setembro
Tel: + 258 21 301618
Fax: + 258 21 301625
· New Reception building
· Meeting rooms
· Guests private swimming pool and bar
· 2 tennis courts
· New Restaurant
· Business centre, with coffee-break room
· Rehabilitation of swimming pool, with new bar and surrounding area
· Multi-purpose building with gym, business centre, Spa (Sauna, Turkish bath, Massage), beauty and hair saloon, kids club, solarium and bar.
· Available from 2008
Contacts Girassol Indy Village
Tel: + 258 21 498765
Fax: + 258 21 499643
REGULATIONS AND STATUTORY REQUIREMENTS
The Insurance Industry in Mozambique is governed by the Ministério do Plano de
Finanças. The inspecçao Geral de Seguros is the department responsible for
insurance within this ministry, which is headed by Dr. Domingos José who presides
as Presidente da Comissão Instaladora. Mozambique is in the process of updating all
aspects of Insurance regulations.
The new specific Insurance Act, came into force in January 2003. This is in line with Dr. Domingos Jose’s primary mandates to assess the present insurance legislation and introduce change in line with the current international standards.
The process of estabilishing comprehensive international insurance norms is currently underway. Locally registered companies need to take care to heed the following obligatory insurance requirements.
INSS Contributions – instituto Nacional de Segurança Social is the state run Social Security System. A 7% monthly contribution, 4% paid by the employer and 3% by the employee is legislated.
Acidentes de Trabalho – Workmen’s Compesation Insurance
Third Party Liability Insurance on all foreing registered vehicles.
All insurance requirements should be bought from a locally registered underwriter.
Local Underwriters: – Since 1991 several private insurance companies have entered the market and the state insurer – Emose was restructured into a Limited Liability Company ( Sociedade de Responsabilidade Limitada) some of the Private Insurance Companies include: Impar / SIM (Seguradora Internacional de Moçambique).
Two companies recently merged controlled by BIM (Banco Internacional de Moçambique) – Portuguese Investment CGSM – Companhia Geral de Seguros de Moçambique Private South African Investment. Owned and administered by the Lewis Family.
Hollard Moçambique – Hollard Moçambique Companhia de Seguros – South African.
Investment wholly owned subsidiary of the Hollard Insurance Group of South Africa. MCS – Moçambique Companhia de Seguros – Portuguese Investment.
Hollard Seguros, a subsidiary of the Hollard Insurance Group of South, is kenn to estabilish a long-term partnership with local investors and assist achieving their short- team and long –term objectivies in Mozambique.
OVERVIEW OF THE HOLLARD INSURANCE GROUP: Hollard is the largest independent insurance group in South Africa with assets in excess of R5,9 billion, shareholders funds exceeding R1,3 billion and premium income over the R3,8 billion mark. It has a consistent record of profitability ever since it’s inception in 1980 and operates through the Hollard Insurance Company, Hollard Life Assurance Company, Hollard International (Guernsey), Clientele life Assurance Company and Lombard Insurance Company (specialist financial guarantee business). We have underwriting and broking operations in the United States, United Kingdown, Austrália, Thailand, Pakistan, Namíbia and Mozambique.
Through this companies, with a team, in South Africa, exceeding 1000 motivated people; Hollard is able to offer the full range of insurance products. In addition, having introduced the concept of Captive insurance to South Africa at our inception in 1980, we are able to provide both onshore and offshore facilities to cover the full enterprise risk management needs of clients.
In this regard we have been at the cutting edge of the fusion of baking and insurance products throught our specialist consultancy, Eikos Risk applications.
The groups international philosophy is one of Afro-globalisation – uding a strong South African skills base, infrastructure and balance sheet to partner with locals and investors in setting up focused businesses.
Since opening in 2001, Hollard Mozambique companhia de Seguros SARL has established itself as a prominent player in the Mozambique insurance market.
Hollard Mozambique is able to provide for both corporate and private client insurance needs. Products would include the full range of commercial and industrial and personal insurances ranging from fire, motor, liability, construction/enginnering, marine , accident/ funeral, workes compensation.
Further more, in line with Hollard’s innovative strategy Hollard Mozambique has introduced the First Comprehensive Medical Plan for Mozambique.
A Medical plan that will satisfy the health care funding needs of families living and working in Mozambique, has been introduced as recently as January 2004.
Hollard Strategey is to develop and introduce new and innovative risk solutions and the new Medical Plan fits squarely into this strategy. We have contracted BESTMED Medical Scheme in South Africa and SOSNetcare911 in Mozambique to provide Medical Benefits and Emergency Services to our clients. The plan has unique benefits such as:
– premiums payable in Mozambique
– full Emergency Assistance and Evacuation by Road or Air on standby in Maputo
– claims Mozambique Medical Service providers will be settled in Mozambique
– claims from South African Medical Service Providers will be settled South Africa
– authorization for medical procedures done in Maputo
– member service office in Maputo deals with claims and payments
– Banco Barclays Visa Electron Medical Account issued to members
– employers may legally claim employee contribuitions to the as payroll/remuneration expenses
The participation of BESTMED Medical Scheme, that has been in operation for 40 years and providing healthcare to more than 27,000 families in Sout Africa, is the most important element os ensuring the satisfaction to our Mozambican members.
All enquiries may be directed to the Hollard Mozambique offices in the JAT building opposite FACIM in Av. 25 de Setembro in Maputo or contac Samantha or Francesca on 01-313114 for further information.
A brief description of Hollard Mozambique’s current offering can be reviewed as follows:
1. Obligatory Workman’s Compesantion – we have capacity to underwrite this class of business for which it is obligatory for all companies to insure as per local labour legislation. Our insurance contract is based on standard market policy document.
2. Personal and Commercial Lines Policy – Hollard has designed a multi peril insurance policy derived from the international markets and adapted for local use on which a private or public centerprise can be insured against specified risk wich pose under one contract for the following option risks which treat your assets, employees and business activity:
Fire and Alied Perils Section – designed to protect your capital against perils of fire, lightning or thunderbolt, explosion etc. Building Combined Section – covers in one section both perils covered under the Fire section plus additional perils of theft and property owners liability combined into one section. This cover is suitable for schools, churches, hospitals, sports, clubs and similar sort of facilities.
Office contents – protects your general office contents against perils covered under the Fire Section as well as provide optional cover for Loss of Rent
Business Interruption – If your premises insured under either fire, Buildings or Office are damaged by perils defined in the fire section, the resultant interruption or interference of your business operation can lead to: loss of gross profit, loss of rent, loss of revenue, additional increase in cost of working, wages, fines and penalties.
General Liabilities – to compensate the insured for legal liability to third parties arising as a result of your business activites. This cover can be subdivided as follows:
Public liability – Products liability – Employers liability
Motor – For your vehicles we offer various options to cover your vehicles. The most basic cover is insurance for Motor. Third Party Only which insures your vehicles against damage or injury of third parties. The broadest form of cover is Comprehensive Motor in which you are insured against any damage or injury to third parties as well as theft/hi-jack and damage to your own vehicle a result of accidents.
Other services include: Electronic Equipment All Risk, Personal Accident/Stated Benefits.
Funeral Benefits – This is an insurance which can be arranged for a group of members in which each of the insured members is entitled to a payment of an agreed lump to cover expenses of a funeral of the members and their dependants, Marine Hull and Cargo – We have capacity drawn from Marine specialist underwrites, ASTRA MARITIME, to insure risks of trasnportation of goods by sea, air or road/rail and small marine craft, Engineering Projects, All Risk (CAR) and machinery Breakdown (MBD), Assets All Risks, Other: Bonds, Guarantees and Export Credit, Travel Insurance, Agricultural risks, Directors & Officers Liability, Professional Indemnity, etc.
We at Hollard are extremely excited about the prospects of entering into a long term partnership in risk management with local business, current and future investors as well as the discerning private individual and believe that with the full backing of the Hollard Insurance Group we have a unique proposition to offer within the Mozambique market. Please contact us at
LAWERS, AUDITORES AND CONSULTING FIRMS
At some point, you might find that you legal advice or an auditing company or aconsulting firm that can assist you in getting your company though some problems. Herewith are various top firms that can provide this service.
CIMPOGEST MOZAMBIQUE LDA
Tel: + 258 21 310610/12
Fax: + 258 21 310613
Investment and Management Consultants Owned by Mr. Gerry Marketos, who has an excellent reputation, very informative.
English/French, Greek & Portuguese are spoken.
Tel: + 258 21 313354/355200
Fax: + 258 21 313358
One of the largest law firms whit good reputation Auditing company, offering legal advice apart from the auditing services they are well known for and respected.
Cell: + 258 82 304395
Tel: + 258 21495695
Contact José da Costa for financial or tax consulting. José is fluent in English and Portuguese and has many years of experience.
Av. 25 de Setembro – Prédio JAT
Tel: + 258 21 312444/21312445
Cell: + 258 82 3003120
Tel: + 258 21 307260 / + 258 82 314782
Fax: + 258 21 307621 / 320299
Hotel Rovuma – 5° Floor
Auditors and Consultancy, including specialists on Tax, Labour and Human Resources
ERNST & YOUNG, LDA.
Rua Belmiro Obadias, nr. 179
Tel: + 258 21 324043 / 4 + 312688/9
Fax: + 258 21 321984
st Floor, building, Av Karl Marx, 217
Tel: + 258 21 311937/8
Fax: + 258 21 311939
Managed by Mr. Prabhu, who is competent and well informed.
Tax issues, registering companies and more.
Mr. Prabhu and his team speak English.
MGA – ADVOGADOS CONSULTORES, LDA.
Tel: + 258 21 306400
Fax: + 258 21 302341
Prédio JAT – (yellow bldg.on Av. 25 de Setembro, 420 – 4th Floor)
H. GAMITO, COUTO, GONÇALVES PEREIRA, CASTELO BRANCO E ASSOCIADOS
Kim Il Sung, 961
Tel: + 258 21 486438
Fax: + 258 21 486441
This law firm has over 16 lawers and have an excellent reputation. They are multi – lingual, efficient law firm. Dr. Pedro Couto is highly respected and highly recommend along with his dynamic team.
Tel: + 258 21 496900
Fax: + 258 21 496802
Adrian Frey who is well known and have been in Mozambique many years. Legal Advice
Rua Consiglier Pedroso, 430
Tel: + 258 21 307870
Fax: + 258 21 300000
SAL & CALDEIRA
Av. do Zimbabwe, 1214
Tel: + 258 21 497746
Fax: + 258 21 494710
Website: www.pwc.comBrilliant Law firm involved in a broad spectrum of specialty work including assisting in writing the labour law for Mozambique.
DIONÍSIO & ASSOCIADOS
Rua D. Dinis, 14, Bairro da Sommerschild
Tel: + 258 21 493050
Fax: + 258 21 493042
Av. Zedequias Manganhela, Nr. 520, 6° Flat A e B
Tel: + 258 21 309 857
Fax: + 258 21 309 735
NHAMISSITANE, EMÍLIO R. – Advogado
Av. 25 de Setembro, 420 1° Andar
Tel: + 258 21 325433
Fax: + 258 21 326 276
COLUMBANUS CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS
Hotel Rovuma, 3rd Floor
Cel: + 258 823024370
Columbanus Chartered Accountants is a Mozambican Company controlled by Stephanie Walker an Irish and South Africa Chartered Accountant. A range of professional Accounting services are on offer including assistance with financial Management, professional Accounti Auditing Training, Financial Models (in English).
SILVIA GRACIA ADVOGADOS & CONSULTORES, LDA.
Av. Francisco Orlando Magumbwe, 168
Tel: + 258 21 493745
Fax: + 258 21 486736
Contact: Isabel Garcia
FERNANDA LOPES & ASSOCIADOS
Rua Pereira do Lago, 224
Tel: + 258 21 496974
Fax: + 258 21 496975
VASCONCELOS PORTO & ASSOCIADOS
Av. Mártires de Inhaminga, 170 – 4
Tel: + 258 21 312070
Fax: + 258 21 312060
MALÁRIA & CHOLERA
MALÁRIA is a potentially fatal illness of tropical and subtropical regions. The disease is caused by a parasite, which transmits to human beings bitten by infected mosquitoes. The disease is widespread in África and over one million people die of malária every year on the continent.
MALÁRIA AREAS AROUND MAPUTO
Malária is encountered throughout Mozambique, in South Africa (mainly in Mpumalanga and Kwa – Zulu Natal), Swaziland, Zimbabwe, most of Botswana and the north of Namíbia. The transmission is higher during the warmer and wetter months from November through to April, May to October, the risks of malaria are reduced.
HOW TO AVOID MALARIA
Personal protection methods and use of anti – malarial medication together, can help protect against getting Malária.
Use insect repellent containing DEET, especially at night, wear clothing that covers your body at night sleep under mosquito nets, Spray your sleeping quarters, sleep in a cool / ar –conditioned room.
ANTI – MALARIA TABLETS (PROPHYLAXIS)
If you are visiting a malária area on a temporary basis, it is advisable to take on the following prophylactic drugs: – Doxycyline, Mefloquine (lariam) and Chloroquine and Paludrin combination.
Remember that the parasite most commonly found in Mozambique is chloroquine resistant, but you will still have a good, if not full, protection against severe cerebral malária.
If you are sensitive to these medications, it is advisable to take them in the morning with breakfast. Taking this medication at night could cause restless nights and vivid dreams. Keeping in mind that it is still possible to contact malaria and you should have a blood test done as soon as you recongnise any of the symptoms. People who live in a malária area for longer than 2 to 3 years, and suffer from side effects of the prophylactics, should consider how high the risk factor is and if the personal protection method by itself would be effective enough without prophylactics. In that case it is necessary to have a blood test done as soon as you feel feverish, to ensure that malária treatment is started straight away if necessary. The faster the treatment is started after contracting malária, the quicker the recovery will be.
Symptoms of malaria may include a generalized body ache, tiredness, headache, sore throat, diarrhoea, and fever. It is worth emphasising that these symptoms may not be dramatic and can easily be mistaken for an attack of influenza or similar non-life
threatening illness. Deterioration can then be sudden and dramatic with a rapid increase in the number of parasites in the victm’s blood stream. A high fever may develop, with marked shivering and dramatic perspiration. Complications of a serious nature, such as involvement of the kidneys or brain (cerebral malaria) may then follow. Cerebral malária is extremely serious with the victim becoming delirious and entering a coma. Cerebral malária is frequently fatal if not treated urgently.
CHOLERA AND DYSENTRY
Mainly diseases of the under-privileged, denied clean water and proper sewerage, residents of squatter camps, or people living in rural areas.
INFORMATIONS AND TIPS
Cholera occurs with the ingestion of contaminated food and water. Avoid eating salads in the cheaper restaurants when not sure about the hygiene.
Consume good food and clean water in Maputo and while traveling to rural areas. Avoid eating fruit and vegetables straight from the market stalls. Wsh them first. Cholera is not transmitted from person to person.
Rivers, lakes and dams in affected areas, should be regarded as potentially contaminated by bacteria. They pose no risk unless direct contact is made with the water. It is advisable only to swim in chlorinated swimming pool water or clear searwater. Be careful with uncooked seafood like oysters and sushi. Buy Mineral water of boil municipal water for drinking.
An oral vaccine aginst cholera is available, but is only recommended for people at high risk.
If you go to the national parks in Swaziland or South Africa, cover yourself and watch out for tics. There have been several cases of headaches, fever and local infections due to tic bites. These tics transfer several bacteria into your body and must be treated with antibiotics to avoid unpleasant symptoms from Richettiosis and Borrelosis.
PRIVATE CLINICS AND EMERGENCY SERVICES
Tel: + 258 21 313054/7
Fax: + 258 21 21 313034
Av. 24 de Julho, 821
They do quick and inexpensive malária tests.
They test for HIV and will give you the results in an hour for approx USD 18.00 per test without a doctor’s consultation.
CLÍNICA ESPECIAL HOSPITAL CENTRAL DE MAPUTO
Tel: + 258 21 324633 / 429522 / 329522 / 321349
Fax: + 258 21 308540
Av. Eduardo Mondlane
Hospital Central: 21 320011/8
CONSULTÓRIOS MÉDICOS DE MAPUTO
Tel: + 258 21 486435 / 486737
Av. 24 de Julho, 458 R/C
S.O.S METROPOL: MEDICAL RESPONSE
Tel: + 258 82 3232600 / 21 313103/4
Mike is the much needed owner of this incredible team. They have saved lives and provided a service that is really needed. On call 24 hours for medical emergencies and assistance with ambulances and trained paramedics. High – Tech and efficient. Set up in the Jat Building. We strongly recommend that you use this team.
Av. 24 de Julho (near interfranca)
CLÍNICA DA SOMMERSCHIELD
Tel: + 258 21 493924 /5/6
Fax: + 258 21 493927
Rua Pereira do Lago, 52
This clinic is frequented by mosto of the expats who don’t use the Swedish clinic. Prices are more expensive than the clinics in South Africa.
CLÍNICA CRUZ AZUL
Tel: + 258 21 305151 / 146 /7
Fax: + 258 21 300121
Av. Karl Marx, 414
Cel: + 258 82 3040050
CLÍNICA DA MULHER
Tel: + 258 21 408384
Cel: + 258 82 3214570
Av. Marien N’guabi, 1463
INSTITUTO DO CORAÇAO (Heart)
Av. Kenneth Kaunda, 458 R/C
Tel: + 258 21 416347 / 414761
Dra. Maria Beatriz Ferreira: 82 3007780
Av. Francisco Magumbwe, 671
Tel: + 258 21 491639
VIDA CONSULTÓRIO MÉDICO
Av. Ahmed Sekou Toure, 2543
Tel: + 258 21 326147
Cel: + 258 82 8337700
Dr. Rui Bastos
Consultórios Médicos de Maputo
Tel: + 258 21 430826
Cel: + 258 82 3056350
Dr. Avertino Barreto
Cel: + 258 82 3011460
Dr. Sam Patel – (Clinica da Sommerschield)
Tel: + 258 21 416177
Cel: + 258 82 3019600
Dra. Nafissa Osman – (Phoenix Clinic)
Tel: + 258 21 491639
Dra. Yolanda Zambujo – (Clínica Especial)
Cel: + 258 82 3034020
Dra. Ana Graça – (Cruz Azul, Av. Karl Marx, 414)
Tel: + 258 21 300120
Dra. Orlanda Albuquerque
Clínica da Sommershield
Tel: + 258 21 493924/5
Dra. Paula Perdigặo – (Phoenix Clinic)
Tel: + 258 21 491639
SURGEONS – (Clínica da Sommerschield)
Dr. Carlos Rojas
Tel: + 258 21 493924/5
Cel: + 258 82 3112100
Dr. Félix Reis
Cel: 82 3921000
Tel: + 258 21 493370
Fax: + 258 21 493368
Av. Francisco Orlando Magumbwe, 954
Adolfo Sinai: + 258 82 303216
CLINICA DENTARIA UNIVERSITARIA
Tel: + 258 21 310243
Fax: + 258 21 312993
Rua 1394, 322 – Zona da Facim
EAR NOSE AND THROAT
Dr. José Branco Neves
Clinica da Sommerschield
Tel: + 258 21 493924/5
Cel: + 258 82 3011460
Dr. Patrícia Silva (you can contact her at the Phoenix Clinic)
Tel: + 258 21 491639
Dra. Otilia Neves – (Clinica Especial)
Tel: + 258 21 490012
Cel: + 258 82 3023910
Dra. Fernanda Machungo
Cel: + 258 82 3052410
Orthpedists – (Clínica da Sommershild)
Dr. Matthias Scmauch (German Trained)
Tel: + 258 21 429376
Ceel: + 258 82 3023580
Dra. Isabel Ruas – (Phonix clinic)
Tel: + 258 21 493924/5
Dra. Fátima Simião – (Clínica da Sommershild)
Tel: + 258 21 493924/5
Dra. Elizabeth Nunes – (Cruz Azul)
Tel: + 258 21 3001
Dr. Igor Vaz – (Cruz Azul)
Tel: + 258 21 300120
Cell: + 258 82 300193
Tel: + 258 21 30 8882
Fax: + 258 21 493368
Av. Patice Lumumba, 290
Cell: 82 3110660
All the latest equipment.
Excellent treatment for children as well.
CLINICA DENTARIA DENTE FELIZ
Tel: + 258 21 491426
Cell: + 258 823905810
Av. Julius Nherere, 654 – 1st
SPECIAL REPORT – OUR RECOMMENDED DENTIST CLINIC
Dr. Zaid Tayob – BChd (UWC) CAPETOWN
Who is Dr. Tayob and why we should go back to him?
Dr. Tayob qualified at the University of Western Cape in 1988, then practiced in Johannesburg, until commrcing pratice in Mozambique in 2000. included in postgraduate studies, were paedodontics 9 (child dentistry), research techniques at the University of the Witwatersand, and attendance of root canal therapy diploma course at the University of Pretoria. He also studied principales and practice of homoeopathy, acupuncture and reflexology.
From my own personal experience, i can guarantes the following with Dr. Tayob:
Painless treatment – he was outstanding with all my daughters and i honestly can say i always had painless appointments. First world starndards of hygiene and instrument sterilisation dealing with all general dental procedures. The latests in computerised dental technology. Tooth whitening procedures.
Open most Saturdays and Dr. Tayob is available anytime for an emergency. Dr. Tayob works closed wiyh South African Dentists. High standard of treatment as expected of any South Africa or European Dentist. Dr. Tayob performs a variety of dental procedures that makes travel to other countries unnecessary.
Tel: + 258 21 495633
Polana Shopping Centre
Av. 24 de Julho, 11 2nd Floor
Tel: + 258 21 492447
Av. Julius Nherere, 947
Tel: + 258 21 419537
Centro Comercial Shoprite
Av. Mão Tse Tung, 1586
Tel: + 258 21 323893
Av. Carl Marx, 426
Tel: + 258 21323893
Hotel Rovuma, Shop, 15 r/c
Tel: + 258 21 308292
24 HOUR PHAMACY
Rua Armando Tivane (Complexo Tivane)
Opened 24 hrs.
Av. 24 de Julho, 624 ou Eduardo Mondlane, 3312
Tel. + 258 21 323830 / 404820
Tel: + 258 21 322240
Av. 24 de Julho, 2617
FARMACIA CALENDULA – 1
Tel: + 258 21 497606
Av. Mao Tse Tung, 22
Tel: + 258 21 415805
Av. Kenneth Kaunda, PH3, 126, Coop
Av. Eduardo Mondlane, 276
Tel: + 258 21 492056
Av. 25 de Setembro, 168
Tel: + 258 21 324801
FARMACIA CARREIRA DE TIRO
Av. Julius Nyerere, 1583
24 Hours per day.
FARMACIA SOCORRO (Infront of the Hospital)
Av. Agostinho Neto, 190 R/C
Tel: + 258 21 485208
Av. 25 de Setembro, 270, (Time Square Building)
Tel: + 258 21 310742 – Cel: + 258 84 2850020
LABORATỚRIO DE ANALISES CLINICAS
Av. Agostinho Neto, 1197
Tel: + 258 21 300026 – Cel: + 258 82 3135210
Fax; + 258 21 311050
OCEANPATH LABORATORIO MOZAMBIQUE
Rua Francisco Barreto, 108
Tel: + 258 21 494278 / 493607
Fax: + 258 21 485217 – Cel: 258 82 3015697
24 Hrs 7 Days